“A good Dal is the staple of every good curry dish in Nepal, and during my time in the Gurkhas I enjoyed many. Though, of course, my wife’s secret recipe is the best, this one provided by The Brigade of Gurkhas is very good indeed. I like to add fresh green chillies to mine.” Major Bishnu Pun
1 ¼ lbs dal urd (green lentils)
1 tsp turmeric
2 oz ghee (or butter)
4 oz onions
1 tsp ginger powder
6 pt water
Salt to season
- Pick and wash the dal thoroughly.
- Shred the onions and chillies.
- Place the dal and turmeric in water and bring to the boil. Add salt, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the dal is soft. The surface should be skimmed regularly to remove the scum.
- When the dal is soft, stir well until the water and dal form a smooth soup. Pass through a sieve or soup machine and adjust the seasoning.
- Heat the ghee (or butter) to a blue haze and fry the onions and chilies until the chilies are crisp. Add the ginger.
- Place the dal in a serving dish, pour on the onions, chilies, ginger and ghee (or butter). Serve.