Sedgemoor Tour will be on 7th July 2021
Let us take you back to 6th July 1685 and the Battle of Sedgemoor. Forces loyal to James Scott, First Duke of Monmouth, were fighting troops loyal to James the Second in an attempt to seize the crown of England. It was to be the final battle of the Monmouth Rebellion and followed a series of skirmishes around South West England. Monmouth’s strategy was to lead a surprise attack against the enemy encampment but this didn’t work, and the battle was all but lost. It was the last battle on English soil and the rebel army was totally destroyed.
General Sir John Deverell will lead this fascinating tour of the site of the battle. The cost of the day is £35 which includes transport around the site and lunch at the Bere Cider Company. To book your place, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many will be glad to know the next Sedgemoor Battlefield Tour, led by General Sir John Deverell, takes place on Wednesday 7th July 2021. Confirmation will depend on the lifting of national constraints. A ‘go/no go’ decision will be made two weeks before the event on Wednesday 24th June. In the meantime, you are encouraged to book early.
After parking at a nearby public car park all are requested to gather at St Mary’s Church, St Mary Street, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 3EQ between 09.15 am and 09.45 am. St Mary’s is the first stand of the tour. Points to note are:
- Having parked your car please bring what you need, for the day, in a bag/rucksack.
- On arrival the church kindly provide tea and coffee in exchange for a donation.
- You will wish to allow sufficient time to look round St Mary’s before 10.00 am.
- Please be seated in the nave by 10.00 am when Jack Deverell will begin the tour. This initial stand and talk will last approximately 45 minutes.
- Before lunch there are four subsequent stands including the site of the battle. Each stand is accessed by minibus and a short walk.
- Lunch takes place at the Bere Cider Company near Aller.
- The final and only stand after lunch takes place at St Mary’s Church, Westonzoyland.
- All return to Bridgwater for collection of personal transport just after 4.00 pm.
The cost of a ticket is £35.00. This covers minibus transport, lunch (drinks at own expense) and a modest donation to ABF The Soldiers’ Charity. The lunch venue has plenty of room for dispersal.
At Bridgwater recommended public parking is found at adjacent sites: Mount Street East or Mount Street Car Parks, Mount Street, Bridgwater, TA6 3EW. St Mary’s Church is a five minute walk and the maximum parking period costs £5. The Angel Place Shopping Centre TA6 3TQ (opposite Mount Street Car Park) also has parking but is more expensive. Avoid parking where a maximum of two hours only is allowed.
Registration and payment