Grants to Charities & Organisations
ABF The Soldiers’ Charity has a well-established and substantial grants programme of support to charities and organisations that provide lifetime support to soldiers, veterans and their immediate families. We will normally fund up to 100 charities in a given year which deliver support on behalf of the Army and ourselves.
In order to ensure that any grant given supports the Army Family, our charity has established guidelines for applicant charities and organisations. In particular, preference is given to charities and organisations which are members of the Confederation of Service Charities (Cobseo) or Veterans Scotland.
Guidelines for applying
Please read the guidelines as they will help you in establishing your eligibility and in making your application the best it can be to ensure success.
If, after reading our guidelines you believe you are eligible to make an application, please use our application form (Parts 1 & 2), available to download below.
The main Grants Committee sits three times a year in February, June and November, with the Scottish Committee (dealing with requests for activities and charities/organisations based solely in Scotland) being held in April.
The application window for the November 2020 Grants Committee is now closed.
February 2021 Applications:
The window for applications for the February 2021 Grants Committee is currently planned to open on 7th December 2020. The deadline for submitting an application is by “Close of Play” Thursday 14th January 2021. Applications received after this will NOT be considered and will need to be re-submitted when the window opens for our June 2021 meeting. For those charities and organisations wishing to make an application please note:
- Our individual grants programme will take priority over awards to other charities. These individual awards are still being processed as normal and we are working to ensure that those in crisis with immediate needs can be supported.
- We will not consider applications covering any new activity/project the charity is looking to establish or applications from charities or organisations we have not previously supported in the last 24 months.
- Our application form now has two parts:
- Part One – outlining your mission, governance, funding proposal with justification of need and evidence of partnership where appropriate, and expected outcomes in the usual format
- Part Two – provides detail on the financial viability of your organisation. Given the current climate and sector pressures, we are all having to make some difficult decisions. Organisations seeking support will need to demonstrate sound financial management, stability and sustainability. This request is based on COBSEO’s Funding Principles, which are available for you to download here. We ask that your finance officer or appropriate staff member sign this section.
- As normal we will not fund activities in their entirety but will consider a contribution to the overall costs, but will expect to see evidence as to how the remaining funds will be found, or covered by reserves.
- We are aware many charities are having to defer programmes of activity and hence we will delay consideration of such grants until later in the year.
- We will consider whether the activity we are being asked to fund is sustainable taking into consideration the financial position of the applicant charity, particularly given the current fundraising situation across the sector which has impacted on us all.
- We will not consider repeat applications inside our normal 12 month window.
- As normal, charities must not assume a grant will be awarded. Given the current situation and our focus on individual awards it would be prudent to anticipate either no award or reduced funding from any historical norm.
- Awards approved will not be processed until after the Trustee Board in Nov and may be funded in a stage approach rather than the total award in one payment. The earlier payment by BACS is likely to be in November.
- If you have any further questions about your grant application please email: email@example.com
- The application forms for the February Grants Committee will appear here on Friday 4th December 2020
Grant applications are to be submitted by email on the application form in Word format with supporting documentation and should arrive within the dates below:
- Between 2nd January 2020 and 2nd March 2020 for the April meeting of the Scottish Committee.
- Between 1st April 2020 and 6th May 2020 for the June meeting of the Main Grants Committee.
- Between 5th August 2020 and 5th October 2020 for the November meeting of the Main Grants Committee.
- Between 7th December 2020 and 14th January 2021 for the February meeting of the Main Grants Committee.
We hope to turn applications around within 12-16 weeks of receipt, with payments being made by BACS. Significant, new or novel grant requests will always be presented to a Trustee meeting which normally occurs within 3 weeks of the Grants Committee sitting. Our Grants Committee is always oversubscribed and it should not be assumed that an application being submitted will result in a grant being awarded. If the Grants Committee does award a grant, it is unlikely that they will cover the full costs of a project. All grant awards will be subject to our Terms and Conditions document which can be found here.
As part of our governance procedures, charities and organisations awarded a significant grant will be asked to complete our Outcomes Report. You can download a copy of the Report here.