Why does ABF The Soldiers’ Charity exist?
We give a lifetime of support to soldiers and veterans from the British Army, and their immediate families, when they are in need. We make grants to individuals through their Regiments and Corps and support a wide range of specialist charities that sustain the British Army ‘family’, both at home and around the world.
We take pride in being responsive, making a difference at a critical point in people’s lives. We have been doing this since 1944, working with veterans of every conflict, and we envisage continuing doing so for the ‘long haul’ – supporting all future generations of our soldiers and their dependants.
See our latest Charity video below:
“That all soldiers, veterans and their immediate families should have the opportunity to avoid hardship and enjoy independence and dignity.”
Some of our achievements in 2017-2018
- Our total charitable expenditure was around £9.5 million, ensuring a complete spectrum of support to more than 70,000 members of the Army family
- We have supported the British Army family all over the world – in 62 countries this year
- The youngest person we supported was two years old, the eldest was 106
- We funded 85 other charities and organisations that are providing specialist support to the Army family
- We awarded £3.4m as grants to individuals in need – this amounts to around £14,000 a day and £69,000 a week
- For the third year running, we were named as the number one charity nationally ‘To Deliver on its Promises’ by Third Sector, the UK’s leading publication for the voluntary sector